Why I want a Fiat 500: Reasons 1-100Posted: June 13, 2011
Okay – so this is a long post. Get ready.
If you’re a follower of this blog or of my Twitter feed, then you already know that I’m currently contemplating buying a new car. The front runner is the new Fiat 500 and all signs are pointing me toward it. It’s an investment though and on my student/blogger budget I’m not sure it’s really one that I should make. But – oh – my – gosh – I just LOVE it!
photo by S. Keinath
I thought I’d give myself a “fun” challenge – to come up with 500 reasons why I should get a Fiat 500. This list – which will continue over the next couple of weeks here on the blog – might also encourage someone (hello – FIAT – are you reading this?) to generously donate one to me. Hey, you never know, right? Crazier things have happened.
1. The Fiat 500 is Italian.
2. I’m Italian. Well – I’m actually Canadian but my parents are Italian.
3. The Fiat 500 comes in white. I like white.
4. The Fiat 500 is super cute.
5. The Fiat 500 is easy to parallel park.
6. It’s easy to back into a parking spot with the Fiat 500.
7. It takes less soap & water to wash it because it’s so small. Another good thing for the environment, right?
8. I would use the cup holder for a latte. Or a cappuccino. Or an espresso. Or…my favourite…a machiatto.
9. There’s a good chance I would be the first person in London Ontario to own a new Fiat 500.
10. It is good on gas.
The Fiat 500 on the London Eye
11. My dream would come true.
12. The Fiat 500 got a great review in the summer issue of the CAA magazine.
13. And in the New York Times.
14. I think Italian music sounds better in a Fiat 500.
15. I think my Italian would sound better in a Fiat 500 too.
16. I’d brush up on my Italian while listening to this in the Fiat 500. Si.
17. Has Fiat 500 ever donated a car (or given a big discount) to a blogger? We could make history together.
18. The size is perfect. I need a car to fit me, my purse, my MacBook and maybe a few groceries.
19. How much Nutella could fit into the trunk of the Fiat 500? I’m willing to find out.
20. Why should Oprah be the only person who gives away cars?
21. Check out the rims.
22. Mackenzie, a White Cabana contributor, is eager to be my first passenger.
23. I have two nephews who are the perfect sizes to ride as backseat passengers in the Fiat 500.
24. How much pasta (I’m partial to De Cecco) could fit into the trunk of the Fiat 500? I’m willing to find out.
25. I already follow Fiat 500 Canada on Twitter. They follow me too. Yay!
26. I don’t want to be yet another person who drives a Honda Civic.
27. I’m already planning my driving outfits.
28. I already have a few pairs of leather driving gloves.
29. It’s almost my birthday.
30. It’s almost Christmas. Kind of.
31. I’ve already taken several photos of me and various Fiats.
32. I’ve driven various Fiats in Europe.
33. I haven’t driven any type of Fiat car in Canada.
34. I know that un’automobile means car in Italian.
35. Una macchina also means car in Italian.
36. I also know that le chiavi means keys in Italian.
37. I already own Italian shoes, Italian purses, and Italian clothes. Now I think I need an Italian car.
39. My dad has a Vespa. I’m jealous.
40. My uncle approves of the Fiat 500.
photo by Conanil
41. It looks good in the snow. And it drives fine in the snow too.
42. I’ll sleep better at night knowing that I have a Fiat 500.
44. It’s an everyday masterpiece.
45. Why does The Sartorialist (Scott Schuman) get to have all the fun?
46. This song would sound better in a Fiat 500.
47. I already follow Fiat Italia on Twitter.
48. I know that Fiat was founded in Torino, Italy.
49. Kyle traded one red paperclip for a house. I’m willing to trade one white paperclip for a Fiat 500.
50. I would put the Fiat 500 on Skype so my relatives in Italy could see me with it.
51. We need more Fiats on the road, don’t we?
52. My two favourite words in Italian are ufficio (office) and casino (no amazing direct translation but basically means a mess). I would throw these words into as many conversations as possible while driving the Fiat 500.
53. Who needs a Ferrari when you’ve got a Fiat 500?
54. Fiat is the best four letter word around.
55. The Fiat 500 would be so easy to park in my small parking space in my apartment building.
56. Have I mentioned how cute it is?
57. I would definitely listen to this song in the Fiat 500. Even though I’m Canadian.
58. People would be happy to stop hearing me talk about how much I want a Fiat.
59. The Fiat 500 is cuter than the Mini Cooper.
60. How beautiful is the interior of the Fiat 500?
61. The interior has the White Cabana stamp of approval.
62. So does the exterior. Of course!
64. My pilates mat fits nicely in the trunk.
65. I would keep my latte – or iced latte – in this Fiat tumbler.
66. I’d probably hang white dice in the mirror. It’s kind of a tradition with me.
67. I could post a photo of me and my Fiat 500 on my Facebook profile.
68. FIAT is a great four-letter word. Possibly the best.
69. I would be happy to add a new key to my keychain.
70. It’s new.
71. I could blog about my happy car adventures.
72. I would write letters about my Fiat and mail them to my friends.
73. I would put a photo of me and my Fiat 500 on my Christmas cards.
74. Why should Europeans have all the Fiat fun?
75. I would use the #Fiat500 hashtag with pride.
76. Some people think you need a big car to carry around all your gear. The Fiat 500 manages just fine. Check out this Fiat 500 ski rack. I don’t ski but still.
78. It would be fun to drive the Fiat 500 to the beach this summer.
79. What’s old is new again.
80. Even the engine parts look good in the Fiat 500.
This is what makes the Fiat 500 go. I think. Photo via Fiat 500 Canada.
81. I would take photos of it.
82. I would ask other people to take photos of me in it.
83. There’s even a Fiat 500 keychain.
84. I would drive it to the beach.
85. Maybe I could take it to a drive-in.
86. I would give it a name. Who names their cars? Anyone?
87. I could probably use this to keep the interior clean.
88. Four-door cars are over-rated.
89. It has a CD player. (I’m still working with a tape deck in my current car.)
90. I follow Fiat USA on Twitter. Don’t you?
91. The Fiat 500 has seven airbags. Safety is key.
92. I would draw a picture of my Fiat 500.
93. The power door locks work well.
94. The power windows do too.
95. My license plate would look good on a Fiat 500.
96. I have my driver’s license. Of course!
97. I would tweet about the Fiat 500 every day.
98. I’m pretty sure that if someone donated a Fiat 500 to me, it would make the news. That would be fun, right?
99. I think Caroline (from Paloma’s Nest) and I would be happy to make a commercial for Fiat.
100. It looks good – even in the rain.